Jane O’Meara Sanders is the wife of senator Bernie Sanders. She is an American social worker and academic. She served as an and interim president of Goddard College from 1996 to 1997, and then president of Burlington College from 2004 until she resigned in 2011.
How Bernie Sanders met his wife Jane O’Meara Sanders
Jane met Bernie in the night of April 6, 1981. It was the same night when he was elected mayor of Burlington, Vermont.
According to Bloomberg , the two grew up just 15 blocks away from each other in Brooklyn, New York. Despite she being catholic and Bernie being jewish, they married in 1988.
In an interview with Vermont Business and Social Responsibility Jane described her first meeting with Bernie Sanders as
I sat down and said, “Who’s Bernie Sanders?” They said, “He’s running for mayor.” I said, “Let’s organize a debate.
So we did. He came, and everyone was swarming around him and the other candidates, because they weren’t supportive of the mayor, so, being the good Catholic girl, of course I was very nice to the mayor and barely even said hell-o to Bernie. But when I heard him speak, well, that was it. The police department I was working with supported him after that, and he won 10 days later. We met at the victory party, and that was the beginning of forever.
Some Facts about Bernie Sander’s wife Jane O’Meara Sanders
- She has been “key advisor” in Bernie’s political career. “Obviously Jane has played an important role in the congressional office. Yes, she is a soulmate, a sounding board”, Bernie agreed.
- She did not move to Washington immediately after her husband was nominated to senate. She felt she had a lot left to do in Vermont.
- I fit in better with the congressmen than their spouses.” she said.
- Due to her family’s economic condition, her mother convinced the local elementary school to enroll her to school at the age of 3 instead of 4.
- She was teacher’s assistant in her elementary days.
- She was accused of bankrupting Burlington college during her time as president of the college.
- She was involved in relocating the campus from a 16,000-square-foot area to 77,000 square feet. This was in a bid for her approach to make the university a first rate educational institution.
Bernie Sander’s Dating History
Deborah Shiling was the ex wife of Bernie Sanders. They were in matrimony from 1964–1966. Sanders has Susan Mott as domestic partner.